Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Personal Narrative


I have a vision of artists putting into film, drama, literature, music, and paintings great themes and great characters from the Book of Mormon.
-Ezra Benson
It's no secret that the general public is more inclined to read a blog post than sit down with a book of scripture. Ezra Benson, a past leader of the LDS church, envisioned members recreating this book to further its reach within the world. Now understand, I do not mean to suggest we are to re-translate/rewrite the Book of Mormon. In my previous post, I suggested that personal commentary on the book, real-life responses, stories depicting the power of the words within the book, that will bring this book to all nations everywhere.
Example
I posted about the ways the text of the Book of Mormon has been changed, and how each change has freed the accessibility a bit more. Take that same passage (1 Nephi 2:19) and see how the personal voice changes the message from, "This is the word of God preaching to you" (which leaves little room for discussion, because honestly, who's going to fight with God?!) to, "This is Becca Hay, down the street telling you my thoughts" (which opens the door for questions and comments):
Personal Voice
As I was studying my scriptures this morning I read 1 Nephi 2:19-22. I had a few thoughts. First, the Lord called Nephi, "Nephi," indicating He knows him by name. Isn't that amazing? Out of all the billions of people who pray to God, He knows each personally, by name. Also, these verses teach how one is to pray, for the Lord praises Nephi for seeking, "...me (the Lord) out diligently and with lowliness of heart." That seems to suggest that we might not always be answered the first time, the Lord may see how serious we are about finding and hearing Him, so we must be diligent. Slow and steady wins the race! To have lowliness of heart suggests an attitude of humility necessary to hear the Lord. Both the blessings the Lord promises Nephi (be led to a land of promise, be made ruler and teacher over thy brethren) are predicated upon Nephi's obedience to the Lord's commandments. I've learned that too, if you keep the commandments of the Lord, He blesses you.

In your opinion, do you believe this was a more effective presentation of the material? I don't mean was it more spiritual than just scripture, I'll be the first to say it's not. But could this possibly open the door for discussion and/or peak interest to reading even those few verses? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment